Wednesday 13 June 2012

My Homeschooling Pilgrimage

I apologise for my absence, but we were away in the Lake District at a family conference. It was a great time of meeting up with other families who also live and work cross-culturally, and several of the mums were also homeschooling. It was so refreshing to be in a group of people who really 'get' you - do you know what that's like? Suddenly you don't feel so weird after all :-)

Anyway, some of you hard-core Charlotte Mason followers out there may have felt your heart flutter slightly at the mention of 'the Lake District'. For those of you who are going "Charlotte who?", let me explain..




CM (as I shall affectionately call her from now on) was a British educator who was born in 1841 and died in 1923. She developed a particular philosophy of education which centred around the premise that all children are born persons in their own right, and not blank slates upon which the adult is free to write as they choose. She also taught that 'Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life', and many modern day homeschooling curricula and homeschooling parents base their approaches on her methods. You can find out more about her here, or download her six volume Home Education series to your kindle here.






The town of Ambleside






It was in Ambleside, in the Lake District in England, that CM set up a training school for governesses, and you can understand her desire that children should spend as much time as possible outdoors when you see how beautiful the Lake District is! 



So, of course, I couldn't miss the opportunity to go and pay a visit to Ambleside while I was there. I found my way to the Armitt Museum, which houses all of CM's books as well as a little 'plaque' dedicated to her (see above). There was also a lovely display about Beatrix Potter, another famous resident of the Lake District. Unfortunately, CM's school, which later became part of the University of Cumbria, was closed a couple of years ago, much to the sadness of the librarian I talked to at the museum.



The Beatrix Potter display at the museum
A collection of Charlotte Mason's books
Well, I now feel suitably re-inspired to continue working my way through CM's Home Education series. It can be a bit hard going, but it's well worth it!

How many of you have heard of Charlotte Mason, or perhaps are even using her methods in your homeschool?

Abide in Him!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! How lovely to actually visit Ambleside. Maybe someday, although I don't know when our travels might actually bring us to the UK. =) Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog...it took me over a year reading in bits and pieces, but well worth the effort. I have started in on Vol. 6 now. =) Hoping to blog my thoughts as I have time...(time? what's that?!) =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful!! I would love to visit someday! Thank you for sharing pictures. And yes, we've been using Charlotte Mason methods for 5 or so years now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Going to the Ambleside! What fun for a CM-lover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jen, Lanaya and Jamie for your comments. It's fun being in England from a homeschooling point of view. I hope to write another post about how some of the places we're visiting are tying up with our history studies in 'Our Island History'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh yeah - we've just come back from Ambleside and I'm planning a trip back later in the summer so I can trail through some of the archives in the Armit library. Did you go up and see the college? Leah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure if my last comment worked! Lovely post, we've just come back from the Lakes, we loved exploring Ambleside and also felt more inspired to continue in my reading and implementing her work! Did you go up and see the college? So sad the state of it :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah. No, I didn't go and see the college, but I heard it had been closed down. I saw your pictures on your blog. I hope you have better weather when you next go. It's been pretty miserable here this summer!

      Delete
  7. My heart definitely did a little flutter there when I saw Lake District. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...