Wednesday 18 July 2012

Outdoor Hour Challenge No. 14

Our pressed flowers



We've struggled a little to keep up with our nature study challenges while we've been back in the UK. I know British people moan a lot about the weather, but it REALLY has been particularly awful this year. I think officially it's been the wettest April - June period on record, and as I write this there is heavy rain and floods all over the country (I'm also wearing my fur-lined Russian boots today and considering putting the heating on - and it's JULY!) Consequently we've not been able to get outside as much as we would have liked.





Anyway, we did go ahead and make the flower press as Barb suggested in the Outdoor Hour Challenge No. 14. We walked around the garden with Grandma, and Sophie chose 8 different flowers from the plants growing there. We placed them in the flower press and wrote down the names that Grandma told us.










Unfortunately, it's been too wet to sit outside and sketch any of the garden flowers. I think we might have to abandon the Challenge for now and resume once we're back in Russia in August.

Although they're not garden flower seeds, Sophie did plant a little cress seed box, and has been so involved with watering them every day that she even had to phone the Grandparents up to remind them to do it when we were away!



The mixed flowers seeds we planted


The pansies we planted from seed




We're only on Challenge No. 14, but I am really enjoying these challenges and am already seeing results. Whenever we're out and about the girls have such keen eyes and point out all sorts of things - slugs, snails, bugs, pretty flowers. The Grandparents commented on how observant they were, and Hubbie immediately replied that I had trained them that way, which I felt really chuffed about. I sometimes wonder if Sophie is a little too observant - she's made a habit out of spotting rubber bands on the pavement that the postman has thrown away and we now have rather a large collection 'rescued elastic bands' in our house!



Abide in Him!


5 comments:

  1. I am always so inspired when I read the homeschooling sites on NOBH. I'm so glad that even with the lousy weather, your spirits have not been dampened, and you are conquering such wonderful outdoor challenges! ;)
    Love and God Bless,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy. As they say, there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing! Since we're only in England temporarily we weren't quite kitted out for all the rain, but if I lived here all the time we certainly would be. I know I shouldn't be afraid to get my kids outside when it's raining, but it's hard to summon up the enthusiasm!
      Catherine

      Delete
  2. Hi Catherine,

    You are doing such a wonderful job with your challenges even though you are having some wet, cold weather. Your flower garden is so colorful and happy! Thanks so much for sharing your entry with the OHC Blog Carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How have I missed your blog before this? I am so excited to have "met" you now. We spent almost 7 years in Russia, and now we're in the Russian-speaking half of Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis! Yes, I know you a bit from the Ambleside Yahoo forums and visited your blog a few times too. Great to have you here :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...