Thursday 6 June 2013

How Building A RAFT Can Help In Times of Transition


We’re now into our last few days of living here in Russia before we return to England. This week we’ve moved from concentrating on selling/packing/getting rid of all our stuff (and when it’s been accumulating for 11 years there’s an awful lot of it!) to saying painful goodbyes.

And it’s not just saying goodbye to people that’s painful, but also to places and activities that have been special to us over the years. Yesterday, for example, I had my last visit to my favourite café in town. Situated in the park, it’s been so peaceful being able to sit outside in the summer-time especially, and I’ve spent many an afternoon there re-charging my batteries and re-focussing my vision for the week ahead. I’m really going to miss it!

Many people have shared with us the RAFT principles of transistion times such as this. It’s a tool offered by the late Dave Pollock, who wrote a seminal book about TCKs (check it out here: Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds, Revised Edition). RAFT stands for:

R – Reconciliation
Try to heal any broken relationships and resolve any tensions before you leave.

A-  Affirmation
Tell people how much you’ve appreciated them and been blessed by them over the years. Thank them for their kindnesses.

F- Farewells
Make sure you make time to say goodbye not just to people but also to places, possessions and pets.

T – Think Destination
Be realistic about what it’s going to be like when you return and how you’re going to cope with all the adjustments.

Following the principle of Affirmation, I felt moved to write a comment in the comments book at my favourite café. I thanked them for many things, including the fact that they have the best toilet in the whole town! This may sound like a trivial thing, but when you’re faced with the alternative of dirty holes in the floor and open-topped baskets overflowing with discarded, used toilet paper and other unmentionables, the clean, white toilet seat, the automatic soap dispenser and the continuous stock of paper towels seem like they’ve been sent from heaven!

So, if you’re going through a time of transition, moving from one place to another, I encourage you to build a
RAFT too!

Qu: Have you had experiences of good transitions using this model? Do you have any advice to add about how to make transition times smoother? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Abide in Him!


Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net/baitong333 and cbenjasuwan


3 comments:

  1. Are you and I great minds? You know, great minds thinking alike? :-)

    We spent the past two weeks at our probable next location, and I've been thinking a lot about leaving this one. I was just wanting to see if I could dig out the TCK book from wherever it's packed for this chapter!

    That RAFT really did help me when we left Russia. That was still the greatest pain I've ever felt, but I think we left well.

    I'm excited about the direction we're heading, but I really want to leave here well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis. I didn't realise you were planning to move again. From your blog I guess it's somewhere else within Ukraine? You're right, knowing that you've 'left well' really helps. I'm glad I managed to do all the things I wanted to do before we went. We're still adjusting to life back in the UK even though we've been back a week. I just started reading Little House on the Prairie with my 2 girls (still trying to work through the AO reading list) and they could really relate to having to leave their home behind and move somewhere new! Blessings for your next move!

      Delete
    2. Yes, we're moving to Kherson soon. I'll write more about it on our blog in the next few days.

      We've been reading Little House on the Prairie, too!

      Give yourself time and grace with adjusting. I've heard it takes an average of 2 YEARS.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...