Saturday 17 March 2012

Finding Grace in the Interruptions - Part 1

We had just moved into our rented house. After six weeks of packing up our house in Russia, and two weeks of living out of a suitcase, we could finally hang our clothes up in wardrobes, stock the fridge full of food, settle Nathaniel in a proper bed, and put our feet up. That first evening, after the kids had gone to bed, was pure bliss! I read a book, sipped my tea, and felt peace....at last.

However, commitments loomed on the horizon. Family from America were coming to see us for four days. It was lovely to see them, and so important for my kids to reconnect with their Grandad, but all I wanted to do was just to be left in peace and rest. The last thing I wanted to be doing was cooking meals every evening in a kitchen I barely knew, with ingredients I was still trying to stock up on and work out where to buy.

As I mentioned before in my post on journeys, I hate being unsettled. I long to be in a predictable routine, everything pre-planned and progressing smoothly throughout the day. I hear you laughing :-) Life just isn't like that, is it?

If we're serious about submitting our lives to God on a daily basis, then we must be prepared for the "interruptions" and "hindrances" He will send our way. And when the interruptions do turn up, we must train ourselves into the habit of greeting them not with frustration and anger but with a willing prayer for God's help to set aside our own plans and show us what it is He means us to do in this situation.

God sends us interruptions for many reasons:
  •  Simply, He had other plans for our day and other tasks He wanted us to do.  
    • "Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19v21
  • He might want to remind us that people and relationships are more important that to do lists and clean houses. 
    • "For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbour as yourself"." Galatians 5v14   
    • "Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13v2
  • He might want to teach us something, to train us to be more patient or more kind. 
    • "Love is patient, love is kind....it does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered..." 1 Corinthians13v4,5

God wants us to stop trying to do everything in our own strength and trust Him that we can submit our schedules and to do lists to Him. I believe that if we are able to do that, then He is faithful and will ensure that the important things do get done in time, and perhaps some of the unimportant things will show themselves to be just that - unimportant. As we align ourselves more with Him, then our desires for our days will also align with His. 
"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37v4.

Our job is to ask for His help to greet these interruptions gracefully, submitting to His agenda in our lives and not our own. It's really hard to do, especially when you're a task-oriented perfectionist, like me!

There is a caveat, though, I believe. Join me in my next post as we look at that.

Q: Do you get frustrated with  interruptions?
Q: What are your tips for dealing with interruptions with grace and patience?

I'd love to know your thoughts - do leave a comment!

Abide in Him!


Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net / David Castillo Dominici

Linking up here: 

Photobucket




10 comments:

  1. I'm like you, and hate interruptions! The main issue with which I struggle is how to respond to my children's interruptions. I can't just drop everything every time they want me, and neither should I, so as to teach them patience, yet I do want them to come to me whenever they need something. How to achieve this, however, is more of a problem... Looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! When I saw that you'd left a comment it really made my day, thank you!! Yes, I struggle with that too. I hope to mention it in part 2, although I don't pretend to have all the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interruptions drive me crazy! As I have attempted to let go of my plans and let God do His thing it seems that the interruptions and chaos have increased. I know it's a period of refinement and growth but, oh, it makes me want to scream some days. Instead, I choose to pause and breathe a prayer. I have had to be very intentional in this and there are many days where I mess up and still try to follow my own plan. But, by His grace there is progress.

    Love the message of this post. Really needed to hear it after the past couple weeks that we have had. Can't wait for part 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for leaving a comment, Erin. I think you're right - the key is prayer. I've been meditating on 1 Thess 5v16-18 today and have been challenged again about trying to 'pray continually'. It's really hard to do, but I think it's the road to a peaceful heart :-)

      Delete
  4. Visiting from WLW. Great blog! Thanks for the encouragement. n:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Catherine! I am the same, I tend to get frustrated with interruptions when I have a certain thought of how my agenda should be. Please come link up with me! I've started a link for women just being REAL. And this totally hit home for me.

    http://risingwiththeson.blogspot.com/2012/03/lets-be-honest-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessi! I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I've linked up with you!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for this post Catherine. I hate interruptions, yet I wonder why I get surprised that they happen! I think the more I expect the interruptions (prepare for them to happen) the less I tend to get frustrated with them. Thanks from a fellow "Kathryn" that's my name too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy! You're right, it's best to be prepared. I remember a time when I was getting stressed out when our local Russian guests would drop by without warning and expect to be fed a meal. Eventually a lightbulb went off in my head, and I made sure I always had the ingredients for certain quick, acceptable meals in my fridge/freezer and enough supplies for tea/biscuits/sweets. The interruptions didn't seem so terrible after that, and sometimes I enjoyed them :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...