Friday 9 March 2012

Outdoor Hour Challenge No. 12

Beginning our Focus on Garden Flowers

What wonderful timing, to start a focus on garden flowers just as we return to England in time for Spring! When we left Russia it was minus 15, and so Spring seemed very far away. But here in England the weather is warmer, and already we've been enjoying the daffodils and crocuses.


We took our nature study trip to the Garden Centre today. The kids had a wonderful time just looking around (there's nothing like this where we live in Russia!). While Nathaniel was engaged with the fish in the aquariums with Daddy, the girls and I hunted for some flower seeds and a pot of already grown flowers we could transplant. 


 There were so many beautiful baskets of Spring flowers for sale, as well as interesting garden ornaments and water features and other garden decorations. I had to explain that, no, we couldn't buy the large T Rex statue or the bag full of dead maggots for the birds, since we would have a lot of explaining to do getting those through customs on our way back to Russia in August!


In the end we chose Sweet Peas, Snapdragons, Pansies, Sunflowers and a packet that had a mixture of various types of cottage garden annuals. Our potted plant was a Primula. I also couldn't resist buying some little gardening gloves and tools :-)


We're looking forward to having Grandma and Gramps so near by. They have a wonderful garden, so the plan is for much of our nature study to take place there during the next few months. We'll plant some of our seeds here in our rented house, and others over at theirs. I'm really looking forward this study, and I think it'll be so fun for the kids being able to grow their own flowers and learn how to look after them.


Abide in Him!


Link up here to the Outdoor Hour Challenges

5 comments:

  1. What a colorful entry..love all your UK choices for your garden. I think the plant you purchased we call a "primrose" here in the US. It looks like your family is going to have a wonderful garden come summer time.

    Thank you for sharing your entry with the OHC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers! Love all those colors. I always say I'm going to plant crocuses and daffodils, but I still haven't! We did plant several kinds of new irises, hand-me-downs (my favorite kind) from my husband's grandmother. So that's good enough for this year, and I'll try to remember crocuses and daffodils before next spring is in full swing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. Yes, I love seeing all the daffodils in Spring. We've just been driving around England and it seemed that every little village we drove through was full of daffodils - really beautiful! I've not tried irises - let me know how that goes :-)

      Delete
  3. I love going shopping for plants :) But planting seeds and watching them grow is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zonnah. Yes, I agree, it's more work but soooo worth it. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...