Monday 4 March 2013

Appreciate God's Blessings!

Last month continued to be a busy and emotionally/physically draining month. Of course, 'as luck would have it', I came down with a terrible cold which turned into a sinus infection during a hectic two-week seminar! I've also been finding myself getting teary at odd moments, as I'm still coming to terms with our recent miscarriage. A friend, who's been through the unspeakably painful experience of losing a newborn, lent me the book Grieving the Child I Never Knewby Kathe Wunnenberg, which I highly recommend for anyone who has experienced the loss of an unborn or newly born child.

In the meantime, I continue to thank God for the three, beautiful blessings I already have. The other day, I was looking through an old journal and I came across this poem I wrote for my eldest daughter, who's now eight years old. I'm guessing I must have written it when she was about eighteen months. Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm not the world's greatest poet, but I just wanted to share it with you in the hope that it might be of some blessing, especially to busy mums with toddlers at home:



Every day there is so much to see,
 to learn, to watch, to listen to.
A stone, a pine cone, a dog barking,
 a car alarm.
What happens if I swirl this twig in the water,
 or throw it on the ground?
Let's count the steps or the trees;
 two, three, four, six.
Why is this piece of paper stuck to my finger?
Where has Mummy hidden the biscuits?
Every day there are so many words
 to copy, to practise, to remember - 
 Nose, Chair, Food, Ice Cream.
I'm sleepy, but I fight it.
 I don't want to miss out on anything!
But here is teddy and my sheet.
 I can start again tomorrow.

Abide in Him!



 Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net/ Maggie Smith

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your miscarriage. You will never forget your unborn little one, but the pain will ease. God is faithful. He will never forsake you. I know because He didn't leave me in that deep sea of hurt and despair either. The book that spoke to my soul during the years of my miscarriages was I'll Hold You in Heaven by Jack W. Hayford. Thank you for sharing your hope with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, and thank you for the book recommendation. I'm sorry you've had to go through this too.

      Delete
  2. О дорогая, я тебя очень люблю... Это так трогательно! (Катя П.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catherine, I never knew the tragic feeling of miscarriage until it happened to me a couple of years ago. I just am so thankful to the hands of Jesus and His forever love that carries us through the difficult times in life. I also flet so thankful for the two healthy and beautiful children God had given me already. If you feel like it here is a little of what I wrote about my loss -
    http://eternityinyourheart.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/its-been-grace-like-rain.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too, Sarah, for your kind words. It was helpful to read your post about your own loss, thank you for the link. I'm sorry so many of us have had to deal with this. I don't think you realise how many until it happens to you and people start 'coming out of the woodwork', so to speak.

      Delete
  4. I'll Hold You in Heaven was a book that also helped me. I think we can underestimate how physically this can effect us also, let alone emotionally. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. You're right, it's tempting just to throw yourself back into life and be 'Missing in Action', as Kathe Wunneberg puts it, but we need to give ourselves time to heal in all areas. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...