Sunday 14 June 2015

Homeschooling in the UK - 4



We’re nearing the end of a school year – just 5 weeks to go! As I look back over our first year of homeschooling in the UK I can’t help thinking how it has impacted me, as the home educator, both positively and negatively.





Blessing: Learning Alongside My Children


One of the biggest blessings of being a homeschool mum is the chance to be able to learn alongside my children. Soon I’ll be asking the kids to reflect upon the things we’ve learnt and to tell me their favourite books and subjects, and I’m going to have a long list of my own too! I’ve found studying the various history books really enlightening, especially since I don’t remember covering any of this myself when I was at school. Learning about some of the key characters in church history has also been really inspiring. Something we’ve all really enjoyed this year has been the Apologia Astronomy course. It’s been fascinating to learn all about the planets and about how amazing our own Earth is in comparison. When Hubbie asks the kids at dinnertime what they’ve been learning about that day I find myself just as eager to share the interesting facts and findings. I’ve also really enjoyed the chance to read some classic literature that I otherwise wouldn’t have, such as Swallows and Amazons and the Children of the New Forest.




Challenge: Putting My Own Interests on Hold



Sometimes when I’m out and about with the kids on a nature walk I see other mothers walking along with just one baby in a pushchair, chatting to other mothers, or enjoying a natter in a café, and I wonder how my life might have been different if I’d had all 3 kids at school and had just been left with baby Joy (now aged 14 months). I think of all the extra time I would have had to be able to run errands, go shopping, or join in various groups and classes. Perhaps I would also have had more time to work on my writing or develop other hobbies and skills. Perhaps I would have been able to do a few hours a week of some ministry or charity work. If I’m still homeschooling by the time Joy reaches school age then no doubt my 'what if' thoughts will turn to jobs and second incomes. There’s no doubt that being a home educator involves some sacrifice compared to mothers with children in mainstream education. It could be another 17 years before I finally get some substantial ‘me-time’!




As I reflect upon those two sides of the homeschooling life, I realise that I value homeschooling my kids too much to give it up just so that I could have extra time to myself. The benefits, in my mind, far outweigh the disadvantages. I realise that I’m very fortunate to be in a position where I’m able to choose; where we’re able (with some sacrifices) to live on one income, and I know that for others that’s not even a possibility. I also realise that, although I would love to spend more time developing my writing or perhaps investigating other ministry opportunities, I feel that homeschooling is where God wants me to direct most of my talents and energies at this present time and I don’t feel ‘called’ in a different direction. I will always need to evaluate what is ‘best for the kids’, but at the moment homeschooling is ‘best for me’.

Do you have any thoughts on how homeschooling has impacted you, the educator? Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you.


Abide in Him!





If you've enjoyed this post, check out Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 as well!

Are you new to Grace to Abide? Keep updated with each new post via email, facebook or twitter.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading these posts, Catherine. We'll be starting the "homeschool adventure" this fall, and I'm already a little nervous about being responsible for her education! I'm excited about doing it but anxious at the same time. My mind wanders, as well, to what life would be like if I lived elsewhere and if public school was even (really) an option for us, and what my life would be like. So you're not alone there! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! I don't think you ever get past the nervousness about being responsible for their education! However, we've had a lot of fun along the way too. I remember the main challenges of homeschooling overseas were 1) how to get hold of all the materials and 2) how to work around unexpected guests or longer-term visitors without either seeming rude or ditching the whole education process altogether! Looking forward to hearing/reading about how you're getting on. Hi to all the family!!

      Delete
  2. This post sums up some of the balances of home education for me. Near the start of our home education journey, I left my job as a consultant physician. Mostly, I don't regret that and am sure that educating my younger children at home is right but sometimes, I miss having my opinion valued, having a secretary at work and a cleaner at home. God's grace is sufficient and being "just" a wife and mother is good for pride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sarah. It's hard to switch roles and do something that people at best just don't understand or at worst think you're absolutely crazy to do! Especially in our culture, that tends to define you according to what you 'do'. However, you're never "just" a wife and a mother. You're a "home educator" and that's an amazing job! (And being a wife and mother is too). As for the cleaner, I'm working on my children and hoping that I'll have 4, albeit reluctant, cleaners in a few years time and will be able to put my feet up with a nice cup of tea whilst reading a magazine to the gentle hum of the vacuum cleaner behind me.......:-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...